Divorce attorney Gerald Williams has practiced exclusively divorce and family law since 1993 and founded Williams Divorce & Family Law, P.A. in 2007. Concentrating his practice on family law matters, Gerald takes on cases such as divorce, child custody, child support, paternity, third-party custody, same sex divorce, LGBTQIA family law and interstate and international child support and custody.
In addition to being a seasoned litigator in the courtroom, Gerald is a thorough and tireless advocate when using alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and collaborative law. He has immense experience handling interstate and international family law matters. Gerald has a genuine concern for his clients and a dedication to helping those who need it the most.
Mr. Williams is actively involved in the legal field and has memberships in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the Family Law Section of the Minnesota Association for Justice. In years past he has served as an Ethics Committee Investigator for Hennepin County Bar Association, as vice president and board member for the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and as a member of the Collaborative Law Institute of Minnesota. Mr. Williams is a former chair of the Family Law Section of the Minnesota Association for Justice and is a family law columnist for the Minnesota Association for Justice magazine. He has a 10 out of 10 rating on Avvo for his remarkable work in the family law arena, and has been named a Superlawyer every year since 2006.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Collaborative Divorce
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Third Party Custody
- LGBTQIA+ Divorce and Family Law
- Interstate and International Child Custody
- Interstate and International Child Support
- Hague Convention
- Current member, AAML Minnesota , American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Former Vice President, Treasurer)
- Current member and family law columnist, Minnesota Association for Justice (Former Chair, Family Law Section; Former Member, Board of Governors)
- Current roster, Washington County Early Neutral Evaluations
- Past member, Collaborative Law Institute
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Ethics Committee Former Investigator
- County Fee Arbitration Board, Former member
- “Super Lawyer“, 2006 – present
- Recurring Column for Minnesota Association for Justice Magazine
Cases in the News
Bar and Court Admissions
- Minnesota, 1992
- Federal, 1994
In addition to his law practice, Jerry enjoys tennis, church music, composing and arranging music, singing in Spirit Song Choir, and serving as a board member and music director for Open Door Community Theatre. Jerry and his wife, Winnie, are active supporters of the Open Cupboard and Today’s Harvest food shelves.